Saturday, May 14, 2011

Oasis by Bryce Beattie

OasisKindle Price: 
$2.99
Available from: 
Authors websites: 

One night after a marathon shift in the emergency room, Corbin St. Laurent sees a Red Cross trailer offering free vaccinations. He quickly discovers something is terribly wrong, but it's too late. Terrorists have used the trailer as a front to inject dozens of people with a deadly virus that takes over the mind and controls the body. The next morning the power goes out and the the government quarantines the entire city.

Corbin finds himself trapped in a city of no hope. Infected men and women roam the streets in mindless packs, seeking only to spread their infection. Being stuck in cramped quarters and extreme conditions, tempers flare and fear paralyzes the rational mind of all but the toughest of survivors. Corbin struggles to find safety--evading the infected, finding refuge through sleepless nights, fighting exhaustion, fending off heat stroke, and coping with treachery and betrayal. It'll take everything Corbin's got just to survive the outbreak in Oasis.

Bio:
My name is Bryce Beattie, and I'm addicted to pulp-styled fiction. When I was a kid, some careless adult left a tape with several episodes of "The Shadow" lying around. After I listened to that, I was hooked. Pretty soon, audio just wasn't enough and I moved on to to the paperback stuff. At first it was just hardboiled detective fiction, but then I started reading old Conan stories and yarns about John Carter of Mars. Now I'm pretty hopeless. In fact, I'm so deep into pulp fiction that I write my own. As far as family goes, I have a wonderful wife and two cute daughters.

What will readers like about your book?
Hopefully they'll like the plot, pace, characters and word choice.

Why did you self publish?I didn't want to spend too much time learning how to query and such. I wanted to get the book out there and then start work on another one.

What is your writing process?
I start with a fantastic outline that I generate using Randy Ingermansen's snowflake process. About half  way through the book, I throw it out and start writing by the seat of my pants. I shouldn't do that, because it takes me a lot longer to write when I don't have a detailed plan. The next book I start, I'm going to be good.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
Forever. Hopefully someday I'll learn to ignore the internet when I sit down at a computer.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
At the time I was playing a simple online game called the Urban Dead. From there came a bunch of ideas for a zombie story. Also, I was reading lots of old pulp fiction, especially Doc Savage books and Robert E. Howard stories, so from there came the fast paced action-heavy style.

Excerpt 

He's going to jump across. I no longer had time to think. I had to act. I rushed to the window and slammed it shut. Out of the corner of my eye I spied Andy's computer chair. Only a couple of feet away. I reached for it, returning my full attention to Carlton.

He was on the small ledge outside his window, crouching to jump.

My hands gripped the backrest of the chair.

A thundering "BANG" crashed behind me as he jumped. The upper right window pane shattered outward just before Carlton's right arm broke through the left.

I instinctively ducked down and spun around.

Andy's bulbous form filled the doorway. He clutched a large revolver in his right hand. He was shaking.

Are you a Indie author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! 
See details on my Free Author Interview page.

Don't forget to Support Indie eBooks

Discover new writers! Follow Indie eBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment