Sunday, May 8, 2011

A job from hell by Jayde Scott

A Job From Hell (Ancient Legends)Kindle Price:
$0.99
Available from:
Author's websites:
Website
The moment Amber starts her new summer job in Scotland and sets eyes upon Aidan, her fate is sealed. Summoned by an ancient bond, she can never love another.

Lost in the woods one night, Amber enters Aidan's deadly world by chance when she unknowingly participates in a paranormal race, and promptly wins the first prize - a prize worth killing for.

In a world of forbidden love, of ancient enemies, legends and rituals, nothing is as it seems and no one can be trusted. Amber's life will never be the same again, unless she searches the Otherworld for what everyone wants. But to do so, Amber must die.

A JOB FROM HELL is the stunning first book in the paranormal series, Ancient Legends.

Bio:
Jayde Scott is the writer of A JOB FROM HELL and BEELZEBUB GIRL, the first and second books in the young adult paranormal series, ANCIENT LEGENDS, and an avid reader of anything that comes her way. She's a social networking enthusiast and couldn't live without her blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads account.

What will readers like about your book?
There is so much to like about the book: the humour, the paranormal elements, the love story, the beautiful description. Maybe even the fact that it's fast-paced with a bit of a mystery to it. It will keep you guessing.

Why did you self publish?
Rather than waste my time searching for an agent or publisher, I want readers to read my work now. Besides, it's so much fun to create one's own cover art and book trailer.

What is your writing process?
It all starts with an idea, which I usually end up writing down on my smartphone in the middle of the night. If I feel the idea's strong enough for a novel-length story, I start brainstorming until I have a protagonist and lots of conflicts. Then I invite my friends over for coffee and cake to present them my plotline and the various elements I could bring in and combine. This step is repeated thrice. After that it's only a matter of finishing my current project since I try not to write more than one novel at a time. Once I start writing, it's really a matter of avoiding distractions in order to finish a project as fast as possible and start editing.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
I usually take anywhere between four to twelve weeks, depending on the desired word count. I also tend to go back and forth because I can't stop editing and adding details, description, new scenes etc.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
It's said everyone has that one particular story of a lifetime to tell. This is mine. It all started with Anne Rice's The Queen of the Damned. I loved that book so much and thought it'd be fun to write my own vampire novel. I finished the first draft at eighteen and put it aside for a few years, went back to it at twenty-four, put it aside again. Last year, I tossed it all out and started from scratch because there were no Shadows, no legends, or otherworld in the first two drafts and I wanted more paranormal elements. I changed the title, the storyline, the characters, the genre, my style – everything, actually. After about twenty-five rounds of editing, A Job From Hell was complete and bared absolutely no resemblance to the first draft.

Excerpt

It's said people can sense their imminent death. Maybe they hear death's song in the wind. Or the earth stops turning for a second, mourning those who are yet to pass. I spotted none of the signs when I dragged my tired body through the otherworld, waiting for the winged demon guardians to pick me up and drop me back on the threshold to the world of the living.

It was a shiny object, beckoning to me from under a bush, that lured me into the killer's trap. As I bent down and pushed my arm into the thicket, a sharp pain pierced my skin and teeth cut into my bone. I choked on my breath, my scream barely finding its way out of my throat. Panic rose inside me, followed by a sense of dread. I was trapped. Even if the immortals heard me, they couldn't help me.

Blinded by fear, I pulled and kicked at the snarling creature peering out of the ground, all skin and bones and red, tangled hair. She was female, no doubt, but the way she tore through skin and muscles, slurping my blood, resembled no human being.

Somewhere behind me, wings fluttered.

"Get the fire demons, Octavius. Turn that thing into burned toast," someone yelled. In spite of my panic, I smiled as I recognised Cass's voice inside my head.

Fire engulfed us, bathing the semi-darkness in a fiery glow. The creature screeched, but didn't let go of my aching arm. If not even Cass's angels and demons could scare it, nothing would.

My vision blurred, my strength waning. I could feel my blood pouring out of me in a long, constant flow until I thought I was floating. From the edge of my consciousness, I realised a black, winged demon had appeared by my side. A thick flame scorched my skin. I cried out in pain, the scream hurting my ears. My eyes rolled back in their sockets. The creature hissed, the slurping continued.

Something caressed my cheeks, its touch light as a feather. My breath came shallow, and my heart slowed down in my chest. I hung onto consciousness until I realised the stabbing pain was subsiding, so I let myself fall into oblivion, eager to escape.

But I gather I'm not making much sense, so I shall start from the beginning. This is how I entered Aidan's deadly, paranormal world.


Are you a Indie author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can!
See details on my Free Author Interview page.

Don't forget to Support Indie eBooks

Discover new writers! Follow Indie eBooks

4 comments:

  1. looks like a good book :)

    http://bit.ly/hFg8gf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog on the Goodreads Indie author group and thought I'd head over. This blog will save me sifting through a lot of ebooks before I find a good one. Thanks for doing the hard work for me!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great book. I've read it, and it was fantastic!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. @craighallam - thanks for visiting :)

    @kim richardson - thanks for the book feedback :)

    ReplyDelete