Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Convergence (The Ordinals) by Joseph Gellene

Murder mystery with a time travel element.
John Smith greatly enjoys his unusual life. He's wealthy, long-lived, and very well traveled. He jumps to the 21st century expecting to be reunited with his daughter but finds she has been brutally murdered. Under normal circumstances it was a simple matter to undo an untimely death but, in this case, the killer remembers multiple fact patterns and easily thwarts John's attempts. To save his daughter, John must overcome shifting fact patterns, a determined detective, and three versions of the killer. His research shows that he fails, but facts can be fluid.

What will readers like about your book?
It's a fast-paced murder mystery. The time travel element creates significant problems for the main characters.

Why did you self publish?I made it to the third round with a major agent but was rejected in the end. Once I considered how long it would take to get to market going the traditional route, self-publishing was a no-brainer.

What is your writing process?
I know where the story begins and ends before start. I write the first draft quickly and let the story take me from A to B however it does. I'm looking for the bare bones of the story at this time and I'm getting to know the characters. Subsequent drafts allow me to better flesh out the characters and environment and to close the many plot holes I created in the first draft.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
One month is my shortest (NaNoWriMo) but I haven't worked the second draft of that one yet. It typically takes 2-3 months.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I wrote a short story several years (Phineas - also on Amazon but free at Smashwords) about a group of people who skip through time uncontrollably yet have a remarkable amount of control over their lives due to ongoing cooperation and communication. How could I stymie one of them from preventing his own death? That question was answered in Phineas. The next challenge was whether or not I could stymie a character for a full-length novel, Convergence.

Amazon Link:

3 comments:

  1. Joseph, when I read the synopsis for your novel, the part about three versions of the killer reminded me of a Jet Li movie where he inhabits about 26 different worlds.
    I try to purchase one indie book per week. I checked out your Amazon site and bought your ebook as my purchase for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gail. "The One" has been on my TBW list for a long time but I had forgotten about it. Just added to my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph, I enjoyed Phineas and want to read more, but it looks like all of your books have been removed (at least from the major sites that I use), do you plan on re-publishing them anywhere/time? I would love to read Convergence.

    (Sorry about posting this here, but I couldn't find an author site or anywhere else where he had posted.)

    ReplyDelete