Monday, May 30, 2011

The Missionary By Eric Mayes

The MissionaryKindle Price:
$9.99
Available from:
Amazon US Kindle
Smashwords
Author's websites:
www.ericmayes.com


After several tours in Vietnam, Lieutenant Jason Harper returns to San Francisco to face the hardest case of his career-chasing the infamous, “Hatchet Killer”. It is not a day that goes by that Detective Harper does not feel guilty about the untimely death of his wife. As he fills the position of his successor Chris Holmes, Jason Harper struggles to clean up the police department’s internal issues. Harper discovers that the blood trail runs much deeper then he thought. An old buddy, (David Heart also known as Tank) from the Marine Corps appears on the scene, just as the Hatchet Killer starts his clever killing spree. At the same time, he struggles to train a hot headed know it all rookie by the name of Dan Burger. There’s one question that still remains, can Detective Jason Harper catch his killer before he enjoys the sweet life of retirement.



Bio: 

Virginia native and author, Eric Mayes graduated from Florida State University with a B.A. in hotel management and culinary arts. His thirst for knowledge led him on a one-way ticket to Los Angeles, California in hopes to pursue his career as a chef. After a number of failed attempts, he turned to voice-over work as a means to supplement his income during the day while being a club manager in the evening hours. On a dare, Eric entered an open-mic contest telling stories of his past lifestyle being raised in the South. Though he did not win, Eric was complimented by many of his timing, delivery, and realistic anecdotes. After being invited back on several occasions, he decided that his career was being limited telling stories on stage; he chose to broaden his horizons by putting pen to paper.

What will readers like about your book? 
My book is easy to follow and a page-turner. And it will scare the bejesus out of you. Plus I put a lot of personality into the characters.

Why did you self publish? 
Why not! Every agent I queried gave me the same old answer, they wanted someone that was more established. Let’s face it, if I was more established why on earth would I need them. I was given a book deal and came real very close to signing, but something in my gut wouldn’t let me. I later found out that they did not have my best interest at heart at all.

What is your writing process? 
It starts off as notes, on cocktail napkins, my Ipod, and cell-phone. When I’m ready, I start working. I get up at five or six in the morning. The reason being is because that’s the most peaceful time of the day.

How long does it take you to write your first draft? 
6 to 8 months of hard-core writing. Each morning I read though what I wrote the day prior and add more content. I never delete, because if I did, I would never get the book done.

What inspired you to write this particular story? 
Oddly enough this story was a script for a movie. I had a couple of studios that were interested, but after the writer’s strike I was dropped. After being disappointed on a major level, I temporarily gave up writing. I used my laptop to look up information and watch movies. One night this blessed affliction hunted me until I got out of bed at two forty- five in the morning and wrote until noon. Never for a moment, I thought that I would be writing a novel.

My editor and friends thought I had went off the deep end. I grew my hair out and I didn’t shave for a year. I wore a camouflage hat all day and I refused to watch television or go to the movies. Ever time I went out to eat, I jotted down notes on napkins and rushed home to work. Once I was done, I slept though the night for the first time after the haunting affliction.

Oh yeah, I shaved.


N.L Earnshaw: Thank you for sharing your experience of writing this novel. Sounds like you really give your writing everything you have. Hopefully next time everyone should understand when you start looking a bit hairier than normal. 

In a sad sad way I am totally envious of your having the time to get so absorbed in your work. I don't think my 22 month old son would understand and my partner would leave. 

Best of luck Eric, thanks for the interview.




Are you a Indie author? Would you like to do an interview? 


Its easy,  just become an Indie eBooks Sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment