Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Demon Girl by Penelope Fletcher

Rae Wilder has problems. Supernatural creatures swarm the earth, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Stalked by a handsome fairy who claims she is like him, demonkind, Rae thinks maybe it was a mistake breaking the rules by going over the Wall into demon territory. Plunged into a world of dark magics, fierce creatures, and ritual sacrifice, she is charged with a guarding a magical amulet. The changes to her mind and body are startling, but rather than accept her purpose she struggles against who she is destined to be. Throw in a big lust for a vampire who can't keep his hands off her, and life starts to get complicated. Rae is forced to make the ultimate choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control.

Bio:
When I grew up I wanted to be awesome (and look like Jessica Rabbit). Hadn't a clue in hell how this was going to come about (the awesome thing, not the Jessica Rabbit thing), or what my "gift" was to induce the awesomeness, but I was sure it would come to me eventually.

I kind of fumbled around for a few years, different hobbies, likes, and loves, but the one thing that remained consistent with me was reading, writing, and a general love of the written word. I hit 20, and realized I wanted to write. Simple.

So, I'm 22 years old, was born in London the UK, and live with my fiance.

I want to write something worth remembering. I have a suspicion it will take most of my life, but I'm okay with that. I write fantasy, which to date has fallen into the young adult readership. I listen more than I speak, and skip from one thought to the other quite fast. I love to smile, and my favorite thing to do in the whole world is to read.

What will readers like about your book?
If you like characters with a strong voice and who are not a-typical you will like my book. Demon Girl is not trying to be assuming, or complicated, it's a book about a confused teen who ends up with the weight of the world on her shoulders, and three too many guys suddenly interested in her. It's something fun to read one afternoon.

Why did you self publish?
In short, I got about twelve form rejections then decided to reject their rejections and do my own thing.

What is your writing process?
Um, I don't exactly have one apart from sitting down and writing until I cant anymore. I'm very erratic, but I'm forcing myself to fall into some-kind of routine.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
Now ... about two weeks ... the backbone. Then I spend months (about four to six) refining. Demon Girl took me two years because I only wrote on weekend mornings and didn't really focus on writing until I finished it.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
Ah, Rae popped into my head one day and seemed like such an amazing character to me, her story was screaming at me to be written, so I obliged and 110,000 downloads later ... I'm glad I did.
Excerpt from Demon Girl;

I clasped his hand and curled my fingers around his. They were rock solid, cold. He pulled me up and my legs wobbled, so his other hand snagged my waist to steady me. For a moment I stood, but was weightless as he carried my weight. The sensation was unusual. I scowled and stared into the face of my vampire.

He was older than me, not by much, and he was ugly. Swept back from his forehead and longer than fashionable, his hair was coal black, and cut close at the neck. His eyes were red ringed, like he was sickly, and had a peculiar stillness about them. He hadn’t blinked, not once since he’d first revealed himself to me. His eyebrows were thick and dark, as was the smattering of hair on his chin, which had a deep cleft. His brow jutted out from his face and his cheeks were gaunt, giving him a look of the starved. It was a strong face but one that did not appeal to me.

Straightening, I pulled myself from his grip and knocked his hands away.

A faint, dry scent hit the back of my throat and my hackles rose. Swallowing hard, my eyes left his as I controlled the sudden urge to launch myself at him. To rip, bite and tear. A manic giggle bubbled in my chest. The thought of launching yourself at a vampire was ridiculous and suicidal, but my body was seriously contemplating it. He brushed the hair out of my eyes and I recoiled. He hadn’t made a move for a vein yet, but he was a blood drinker, and I was full of blood.

He flashed me a smile, and his chalky lips framed pearly fangs flanked by two smaller canines. They had run right out as he’d touched me. For a moment I was overcome. I stared at them, the spiky tips resting on his lower lip, a startling shade of ruby red. Everyone knew vampire fangs ran out when they were mad or bloodlusty. Which was he? Probably the latter, if he was mad my limbs would be scattered across the forest floor by now.

“You’re going to kill me now,” I said steadily.

Links;

Official Website

Facebook Fan Page

The Doctrine Newsletter

Fiction Fierce Writers Blog

Goodreads

Twitter: @Miss_Fletcher

Amazon Author Central

1 comment: