Sunday, April 10, 2011

Morse and the Sinister Shadow by Holly Hook

Fourteen year-old Rita Morse is the kind of girl that the teen-hating Shadow Regime hates. She won't put up with crap that isn’t fair. Like the ban on teens her own cousin, Jerry, put up at his video game store. After she toilet-papers the place to get back at him, the Regime, an army of immortals working to oppress teens all over the world, adds her to their list of threats.

That’s not good. Turns out that banning kids from stores is the least of their evil.

Because the Regime’s enemies always disappear.

Now Rita’s in the biggest trouble of her life. She’s being stalked by shadow people. Threatened. Even nearly kidnapped. The Regime's not the only danger: they control countless humans around the world--including her cousin. There’s nowhere to turn.

Rita must learn the Shadow Regime’s reason for their war on teens—and her—or she won't make it through her first week of high school.

Bio: 
Holly Hook is also the author of Tempest and is currently working on two more young adult novels, the sequel to Tempest as well as a stand-alone comedy.


What will readers like about your book?
A strong heroine who isn't afraid to stand up for herself.

Why did you self publish?
To build a platform and begin reaching readers

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
The book took a total of 13 years to write, so I can't assign a length of time to the first draft.

Excerpt:

If I’d known my whole life was about to turn into an epic battle with the forces of injustice, I would’ve abandoned my prank on the Kool Spot, rode my bike back home, and sulked in my room like I was supposed to do when this kind of thing happened. Okay, maybe I wouldn’t have sulked in my room, but I would’ve at least thought out this toilet papering job a little better.

But I didn’t, because I’m Rita Morse.

Tonight, nothing could keep me from the one thing on my mind: revenge. Revenge against my older cousin, Jerry, for the wonderful sign he’d put up in the door of his video game lounge earlier that day. The blue poster board in the door glared out at me in the streetlight. Absolutely no one under eighteen allowed without a parent. No explanation. No warning. Did it make any sense? No, because this wasn’t like my cousin at all. Did it tick me off? Yes. But you’ve probably guessed that already.

I nodded to my friend Ryan Sullivan as he hopped off his bike. “How much did you bring?”

He opened his mouth to say something, but his buddy Dan cut in front of him and tossed a toilet paper roll at me with a Look of Death. It bounced off my T-shirt with a soft thump and rolled away down the sidewalk. “What’s your cousin’s problem?” he asked. As if it were really my problem. “What does he think we were doing? Slashing open the bean bag chairs?”

The wind flung my hair into my face, forcing me to spit it out before I could answer. “Just because he’s my cousin doesn’t mean I know. He wouldn’t pick up his phone today.” I glared at the sign. “I’m not waiting four more years to go in there and talk to him about this.”

Ryan brushed his hand through his spiky hair. “Give Rita a break, man. We’ve gotta get this done.”

He was right. “Yeah, can you stop giving me attitude? Maybe he’ll only answer his phone now if you’re over a certain age.” I glared at the new sign. “You think I had anything to do with that?”

Dan shut his mouth and stalked over to his friend Sean, grumbling like he did every time he got toasted by a Dragon Wizard on his Darkworld card game.

The wind snapped through my hair again, shoving a curtain of brown right over my eyes. I flung it away and wrestled a toilet paper roll from my grasp. If that didn’t tell Dan what side I was on, nothing would.

Links:

Amazon UK
B and N
Smashwords
    Paperback                     eBook          

No comments:

Post a Comment