Monday, January 16, 2012

Interview with Rejean Giguere


Rejean Giguere enjoyed a successful business career in Toronto and Ottawa, exercising his creative side as a photographer, sculptor, and painter before the opportunity arose to take the time to sit down and write his first book. His youth spent growing up in Europe and Canada, added to his travel experiences over the years, help to shape his view of the world and give colour and character to his writing.

As the author of 2 novels and 3 books of short stories, Rejean sneaks away from his computer as often as he can to golf, fish, hike, rollerblade, mountain bike, ski, snowmobile and travel. Sunny afternoons will often find him roaring down the road in his vintage Corvette or catching the breeze on his V-Max motorcycle. His third novel will be available in early 2012.


Interview with Rejean Giguere


What will readers like about your book?

A guy's book, Merlin 444 is all about fast cars, fast planes and crazy mysteries. In this character-driven Action/Adventure novel, Bobby starts out as a typical young guy from any small town. Suddenly thrust into an unexpected situation, he has to deal with his own family crisis while resolving a 50 year old mystery. The story keeps up a blistering pace as the action comes hot and heavy, one thing after another.

Why did you self publish?

eBooks have changed the way the publishing industry works. A writer no longer has to face the daunting process of finding an agent and convincing a publisher to take their book. As a businessman I fully appreciate the ability to create, produce and control my own work from start to finish. I am in charge of the entire project and I can ensure that everything from the quality to the promotion meets the highest standards. However, this isn't to say that if a publishing house made me an offer that made sense I wouldn't consider it.

What is your writing process?

For me, a book is all about the character. When I begin a book, I start by working out the concept and the main character's role. Then I create an outline, chapter by chapter of what needs to happen. This allows me to decide what other characters need to be included. When I sit down to write a chapter I already know who is in it and roughly what is going to happen, and I know what things need to be included which will be brought back into the story in later chapters.

How long does it take to write your first draft?

It depends how you measure it. Days spent actually typing? Or do you include the time spent creating the concept, outlining the project and researching the material? Merlin took quite a bit of research time, while I learned about Spitfires and Mosquitos and made sure I had all my facts on The Battle of Britain, Battle of the Atlantic and Battle of the Pacific correct. Actual writing time also varies; I usually write around 2-3,000 words a day, but have had days where the story has taken on a life of it's own and I write 5,000 words or more. Then you start editing; that has it's own schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment