Thursday, June 16, 2011

Shattered Soul by Jennifer Snyder


Kindle Price: 
$2.99
Available from:
Amazon US Kindle
Amazon US Paperback
Smashwords
Author's websites:
jennifersnydersblog.blogspot.com


Hellish Nightmare...

If seventeen-year-old Seth Bradson were to describe his life in two words, those would be the two he’d choose. Seth prefers to cope with his crappy existence by spending his days in a drug-induced haze. But when Ali Carson steps into his life, Seth finds something he’s subconsciously been seeking—a new drug, one that consumes his mind unlike any other.

Love.

In a moment of unforgivable weakness, Seth allows Ali to try crystal meth, his most addictive temptation. This single event begins the unraveling of both their lives and forces Seth to learn the definition of regret the hard way.


About Jennifer Snyder

Jennifer Snyder lives in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina with her husband and two children. She finds great joy in blank notebooks and a smooth writing pen.



Interview with Jennifer Snyder

N.L. Earnshaw: 
Why did you self publish?

Jennifer Snyder: To me it was all about making my novel available at a low cost. I'm a book worm myself and in this economy I found myself more often than not putting the book I really, really wanted back on the shelf because I had other things to buy which were more of a necessity. That's the thing that really stood out to me, that as an author I can price my novel at a low cost for readers.

N.L. Earnshaw: What will readers like about your book?

Jennifer Snyder: Shattered Soul is a touching Edgy YA novel about teens and drug addiction. There is a lot of raw emotion, love, hardship, and violence mixed together for suspense.

N.L. Earnshaw: What is your writing process?

Jennifer Snyder: I write any scenes, ideas, or clips of dialogue that come to me in a spiral bound notebook. Then I begin on hand writing the chapters out. Once a chapter is completed, I then move over to my laptop and type it up.

N.L. Earnshaw: How long does it take you to write your first draft?

Jennifer Snyder: Usually about three months.

N.L. Earnshaw: What inspired you to write this particular story?

Jennifer Snyder: Honestly, I have no clue. The idea came to me on a Sunday afternoon while folding laundry. But what I would like people to gain from this story is that addiction can be a serious issue among teens even. And there are flip sides to it. For some, sadly, they are raised around drugs and often view them as an escape from life. For others, one moment changes their life and addiction 

WARNING: Adult content in excerpt from the book.



Excerpt:

Life. Life’s a bitch and then you die. So, fuck the world and let’s get high.

That was my motto.

I’m not sure where it came from or where I first heard it. Hell, I could have read it off a bathroom stall somewhere for all I know. My point is this, it doesn’t matter where it came from; it stuck with me, becoming my answer, my solution, to everything.

Until she came into my life, which was when things began to change for me.

I remember the first moment I laid eyes on her. First period, Algebra II with Mrs. Gilbert. I’d been sitting in class, doodling on a crumbled piece of notebook paper with a borrowed pen, biding my time until I could reach the water fountain in the hall. The date was April nineteenth, and I’d wake-n-baked that morning, testing out the potency of my new bag before celebrating on four-twenty, the unofficial holiday of every stoner.

The classroom door had opened and I hadn’t bothered to look up to see why. I’d been too consumed in making the swirls of smoke rising from the burning joint I had been drawing look realistic to care.

“Oh, yes, I almost forgot.” Mrs. Gilbert had fretted. “Class, we have a new student. This is Ali Carson; she comes to us from Charleston, South Carolina. Please make her feel welcome.”

I picked that moment to glance up from my all-important smoke swirls to check this new girl out and was dumbfounded.

She was the closest thing to an angel I had ever seen. I remember blinking a few times to see if she’d disappear, and actually questioning myself on whether or not my new bag had been laced with something which was just starting to take effect. But, she hadn’t disappeared, and my bag hadn’t been laced with anything.

She was real.

I stared at her for what seemed like an incredibly long time, allowing my eyes to slowly drink her in.

“Hi,” she uttered with an awkward wave to no one in particular.

Mrs. Gilbert had motioned for her to sit at the only available desk, which was in the second row from the window, two seats from the last desk, and kitty corner from mine. I watched her as she walked, unable to remove my eyes from her angelic face. Right before she had sat down, her eyes had flickered to mine as if she could feel them on her, and she’d smiled faintly.

I had smiled in return, but a second too late, she’d already sat and given her full attention to Mrs. Gilbert at the front of the room.






Are you a Indie author? 
Would you like to do an interview? 
Its easy,  just become an Indie eBooks Sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment