Sunday, November 13, 2011

Harbinger of Evil by Meb Bryant


Kindle Price:
$2.99
Available from:
Amazon US Kindle
B&N
Smashwords
Author's websites:
www.mebbryant.com


In 1963, New Orleans’ French Quarter is rocked by the gruesome murder of a wealthy businessman, and Detective Richard Mobey finds himself intertwined in the lives of a family about to unravel from generational secrets. The widowed detective faces the choice of following his instincts or his heart as he investigates Hattie Lee, the primary suspect found lying next to the corpse. The protection of Alaskan oil, shady politics and CIA operatives converge to muddy the investigation, leading him down a treacherous path. As Mobey struggles to rebuild his personal life, he unwittingly becomes an integral part of the most infamous assassination of all time. The ultimate whodunit. Don’t miss the final erotic twist as the killer strives to explain not only the necessity, but the ultimate justice for committing murder.

Bio:

Being a voracious reader and coupled with a compulsion to write, Meb Bryant felt challenged to write a provoking mystery where the reader becomes involved in a game of whodunit. Born in Houston, Texas, Meb attended fifteen schools throughout the United States by the age of ten. Her nomadic childhood was especially enriched with experiences and memories living in the Louisiana region.

In addition to being a longtime business owner with her husband, she enjoys tennis, fishing and cruising . The couple reside in Texas with a Yorkshire terrier; a white, house rabbit; and unruly chickens, including Teensy, the novel's delinquent rooster.

Excerpt

Fresh blood dripped from her wounded lips as he handed her a single tissue. Although sympathetic, he couldn't let her run the interview. The city bureaucrats would guarantee the case became a top priority. High-profile cases brought out power-hungry politicians hoping for the chance of a photo op.

A man had probably been murdered, but not simply any man. This man happened to be rich and politically connected. Allowing his death to go unnoticed would not be seemly. Hattie Lee had inadvertently made the poor choice of being discovered beside his cold dead body.

Interview with Meb Bryant

What will readers like about your book?

The story is a complex weave of different characters brought together by the investigation of a prominent New Orleans' murder victim. The characters are fleshed out, multi-dimensional people who most of us have met somewhere in our lifetime.

Why did you self publish?

While making a concerted effort to be traditionally published, I came to the realization the opportunities I sought were no longer available to me. However, e-books opened a world of avenues allowing me the opportunity to connect with readers. I am extremely thankful for the new business model in publishing.

What is your writing process?

I mentally outline a loose version of my story, then make a physical outline with colored PostIt notes. I'm grateful to Cherry Adair, NYT best-selling author, for this instruction. I write in the late afternoon (after my regular job) until the wee hours of the morning. I set a goal of a predetermined amount of words per week. Different weeks have different goals. Living a personal life is my main priority. That life feeds my muse.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?

I spent thirteen months writing the first draft of Harbinger of Evil. Learning computer skills to write in a correct format was a steep learning curve. I worked on the manuscript for another three months before beginning the daunting query process for nine months. Coincidentally, the same amount of time it took me to give birth to human babies, who are now adults. After my indie lightbulb came on, I reformatted the manuscript and uploaded to Amazon, B&N, Smashwords and CreateSpace within three months.

What inspired you to write this particular story?

I love the ambiance of the French Quarter, the street sounds, smells of the Mississippi, and of course, the fabulous food. Since my father was born in Louisiana, my DNA roots yearn for home. I vividly remember the racial turbulence of the 60s and where I was the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. As I researched the novel, I discovered many interesting facts I wanted to share with the reader. Also, I wanted to create a game of whodunit to stimulate the reader. Hopefully, the reader will come away with an enjoyable, unpredictable read and food for thought. I loved writing the novel and hope readers enjoy the ride.Thank you for the opportunity to be on Indie eBooks.



Are you an Indie author?

Would you like to do an interview?

Its easy, just become an Indie eBooks Sponsor.

1 comment:

  1. I was so happy to happen upon this blog and find that you are featuring this book. I read it. It's great and it scared the living s**t out of me. I love New Orleans so I was familiar with the setting. Great plot with lots of twists. Great multi-layered characters.
    J.D. Faver

    ReplyDelete