Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dead Game (Emily Stone Series #2) by Jennifer Chase

Dead Game (Emily Stone Series #2)
Kindle Price:
$0.99
Available from:
Amazon US Kindle
Amazon US Paperback
Author's websites:
authorjenniferchase.com

2010 Thriller Bronze Award Winner from Reader’s Favorite!

Dead Game is a deftly crafted piece of writing. All I can say is that Jennifer Chase has an evil mind!” - Simon Barrett, Blogger News Network

“The tension, twists and turns in Dead Game are perfect! This thriller was truly a read through in one sitting” - G.A. Bixler, IP Book Reviewer

In her independent efforts to catch child killers, Emily Stone discovers the evidence that the cops can’t—or won’t—uncover. Now, this covert investigator is back on the hunt for the world’s most sick and twisted murderers. But even with help from ex-police detective Rick Lopez, this time she’s facing her most dangerous opponent yet.

The headlines in the San Jose Mercury News blare updates on a serial killer who seems able to slaughter with impunity. Men, women—it doesn’t matter; the victims serve only to satisfy a perverted need to kill. The killer watches the moment of death on multiple computer screens, over and over again. The only connection is that they’re all devotees of the latest video-game craze—a sophisticated brain-puzzler called EagleEye.

When the killer goes after Lopez’s law-enforcement mentor, Lopez and Stone decide to give the cops a little extra, unsolicited help. What follows takes them deep inside a shocking high-tech world, a kind of social-networking community for serial killers. But when they start getting too close to the truth, all hell’s going to break loose.

Now, Stone and Lopez become the killer’s next target as Stone must make a difficult decision to leave the ones she loves in an all-or-nothing effort for survival. Can they stay alive long enough to blow the whistle on this unlikely perpetrator?

Excerpt

Emily noticed Jordan hobbled as he took each odd stair. Even though he had one shoe, she knew that he was in pain, but he forged ahead without any complaints. The fourth floor stopped and they had to open the door to the hallway.

Jordan was the first to pass over the threshold and moved down the hall to find the closest exit. It was déjà vu all over again. The assassin couple barely rounded the corner of the hallway.

“How did they find us so quickly?” Jordan complained.

Emily looked up along the hallway. “The cameras. Someone must be watching us and calling the shots.”

Jordan grabbed Emily’s arm and steered her into a large conference room just as the glass exploded next to their heads. Emily took cover and steadied herself once again to fire back; she managed to squeeze off three rounds. They inched their way toward the large conference table and then behind a solid credenza to help protect them from any stray bullets.

Emily reported to Jordan. “I don’t have enough ammo to keep them off of us for very long.”

Jordan shimmied toward the window and looked out. He quickly ducked back down next to Emily as she fired another shot. A spray of bullets then pummeled back at them. Glass frames of inspirational quotes from artwork flew off the walls, pieces of furniture cracked and chipped leaving fragments flying into the air, and finally the large window that Jordan peeked out from shattered into a million pieces. It was deafening.

Emily yelled, “Jordan, any ideas?” She knew that it was probably over for her. A flood of images filtered through her mind of her life with Rick, and everything that led up to this standoff.

Jordan had a thought, his face lit up. “I have an idea.”

Emily fired another round. “Now would be a great time to tell me.”

Jordan pointed to the window. “There.”

Emily didn’t understand. She eased her way to the window and looked out. The wind blew through the room. She realized what Jordan thought they should do. “No way.”

“Why not? You afraid?”

“You’re nuts, you know that?”

“Yeah, but I do have a plan.” He forced his usual smile.

There was the elaborate water sculpture just outside the window that was four stories high and it was positioned perfectly to lead them out. The sculpture looked exactly like an amusement park water slide from their angle. It was possible that they could ride it down four stories.

About Jennifer Chase

Jennifer Chase holds a bachelor degree in police forensics and a master's degree in criminology. In addition, she holds certifications in serial crime and criminal profiling. She is also an affiliate member of the International Association of Criminologists. She has authored three thriller novels (Compulsion, Dead Game, Silent Partner) and a screenwriting workbook (How to Write a Screenplay).

Interview with Jennifer Chase

What will readers like about your book?

I’ve always enjoyed reading the thriller genre, so when I decided to write my own novels I couldn’t think of a better type of story to write. I hope that readers who enjoy thriller and suspense novels will enjoy Dead Game. I’ve incorporated computer technology that we all use every day into a cat and mouse game with a serial killer. I strived to create a book that will keep readers on their toes, move at a fast pace, and of course has a few surprises along with way.

Why did you self publish?

I’m a type of person who thinks about things for a while, weighing my options, before I make a commitment. I decided to self publish because I created a crime fiction series and I wanted it to be available right away. I knew that promoting and marketing would be a challenge. By self-publishing, I’ve learned so much about the publishing world. I’m not saying that I would never go the traditional publishing route, but self-publishing seemed like the right option for me at this point.

What is your writing process?

I outline my book projects. I try to write 10 double spaced pages every day during the week. I spend a fair amount of time working on characters, plot and pacing, and research. I find that it helps me to see the entire story in a quick snapshot or roadmap that I can make changes if necessary. My completed outline resembles a choppy first draft. The wonderful aspect of outlining is that you don’t always have to stick to it perfectly, you can deviate or go down that winding dirt road to see where it brings you.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?

Generally, it takes about two months to complete a first draft. It also depends upon how much research, other work related duties, and what’s going on in my private life. I budget and plan my book projects ahead of time. I tend to keep a time buffer just in case something comes up in the mean time.

What inspired you to write this particular story?

Crime fiction, thrillers, and mysteries have been my favorite types of books since I was a young girl. I began developing my heroine character after I had a personal experience with a person who stalked and harassed me with death threats for more than two years. Everything turned out fine. It made me more aware of crime and I became interested in forensics and criminology. I went back to school to achieve my masters in criminology and then created my crime fiction series. Good things really do come out of bad situations.

 


Are you an Indie author? 
Would you like to do an interview?
Its easy, just become an Indie eBooks Sponsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment