Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Take A Chance On Him by Cameron Baylor

Kindle Price: 
$0.99
Available from: 

Rapidly approaching forty, Lori Dergan wonders whether the right guy is out there. Since her divorce, she’s had three disastrous dates, including one with a guy who takes things too far, too fast…in a restaurant. Just as she’s ready to implement the three-strikes rule, Jake Sawyer comes along.

Jake’s had some bad dates of his own, especially with the girl who tells a cringe-worthy story of almost disfiguring a guy during sex. A former competitive swimmer, Jake now coaches a college swim team, but he’s looking for something a little more invigorating than just pool water.


Jake ignores his pessimistic and oversexed friend’s advice (“The whole thing’s a disaster waiting to happen. Just get some naked pics of her!”) and wants to meet Lori.

Lori takes her friend’s advice (“Do you know how hot a swimmer’s body is? What do you have to lose?”) and decides to meet Jake…and sets in motion a chain of events that will initially make her feel alive again, but ultimately take her right back where she started—wondering whether she’ll ever trust anyone again.

Unless Jake can change her mind…

Bio:
All I ever wanted to be was a writer. It's the greatest job I can think of and I'm really thankful to have the opportunity to share my work with other people, especially now that indie publishing is taking off.


What will readers like about your book?
Hopefully they'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I tried to make it all the things I love as a reader: humorous and perhaps a little quirky, romantic, sexy and most of all I hope they have fun with it.

Why did you self publish?
I've followed the trends in self-publishing for a while now and decided it was the best fit for me. I'm enjoying the freedom of writing what I want to write.


What is your writing process?
I write mostly in the afternoon, after spending a good bit of the morning going over what I wrote the day before. I don't plot anything out until I feel that I'm about 2/3 of the way through. At that point, I'll go back and plot what's there, plan what's coming next, basically trying to speed up the pacing a bit to a big finish.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
I wrote the first draft in two months. I spent about another month doing the second draft, editing, figuring out the book description, etc.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
It's an idea that's been floating around in my head for about two years. I finally buckled down and wrote it.

Excerpt

She leaned in closer toward him, simply because all of these small tables were so close together and she didn’t want anyone to overhear their conversation, especially now that they were getting to the part she really wanted to get to—the “why” question.

She said, “Tell me why.”

Jake leaned in closer, too, with what looked like a devious smile on his face. “It excites me. It’s like something that shouldn’t happen, so it’s more exciting.”

“So it’s just the thrill of it. The danger, maybe?”

“No, that’s not all,” Jake said. “I’ve always been more attracted to older women.” In the softest voice he could manage without actually whispering, he bluntly told her how, when he was a teenager he always found himself checking out the moms at the pool.

“Interesting,” Lori said. “So am I the first older woman you’ve revealed this to?”

“Pretty much.”

“What does that mean?” Lori said, but not accusingly. She said it with a smile.

“In person you are. I’ve chatted online before, but never told anyone in real life.”

“So you’re looking for a stand-in for this? A prop?”

“More like a stunt woman,” Jake said.

“Very funny.” It was a good thing he made that joke because Lori truly was concerned about being used as some kind of “prop,” as she put it. “Seriously, though. Be blunt with me.”

Jake didn’t hesitate with his answer. He didn’t have to. He told her the truth: “No, I’m not looking for just anyone, if that’s what you mean. I do have standards, you know. And I’m not looking for a one-night stand. Truth.”

“Truth.” She looked at him a little skeptically, but something made her believe him.

“Truth,” Jake said.

“Okay. I’ll take you at your word for now.”

“Oh, for now, huh?” Jake said.

“I do have standards, you know,” Lori said, using his own line against him.

“Your turn,” Jake said.

“My turn for what?”

“Why are you here?” Jake asked.

She paused for a moment. She wasn’t really sure why she was there. The answer that popped into her head was “curiosity,” so she said it.

“Curious about what? Me? Younger men?”

“You. But, honestly, also about myself.”

“Not sure I know what you mean.”

“Me, either,” Lori said. “Seriously.”

“Fair enough.”
Are you a Indie author? Would you like to be interviewed for this blog? You can! 
See details on my Feature your eBook page.

Don't forget to Support Indie eBooks

Discover new writers! Follow Indie eBooks

No comments:

Post a Comment