Monday, April 11, 2011

The Ticker - Michael Drake

For fans of Jack Kilborn, JA Jonrath and Dean Koontz...

Angela wakes up in a hotel room.
A bomb is handcuffed to her hand.
She has 60 minutes to live.
Here only hope - commit a dangerous heist within the hour.

Her nemesis - America's most dangerous criminal known only as "The Ticker."

"Ticker" is a fast paced 11,000-word novella.


If you like intense movies like "Die Hard," "Speed" and "Predator," then "Ticker" is right up your alley.

Also included is a preview of the upcoming Michael Drake Novella "Dead Drop."What will readers like about your book?


I've written my novella to give you the feeling of watching a 2 hour action movie. TICKER is told in real time. In fact, the story unfolds in sixty chapters, starting from sixty to zero, symbolizing the one hour Angela - the main character - has to save her own life.

Why did you self publish?
Self publishing used to be an expensive, vanity venture. Thanks to Kindle and the mainstream acceptance of eBooks, the only thing holding you back is yourself. You can write your story, create the cover, upload it onto Kindle at zero cost and have it available, for sale, within 48 hours. When you make your first sale, you have already made a profit. And the 35% to 70% commission is better than what any author at a publishing house would get today.

What is your writing process?
I like to think my ideas though in the morning and then write the 500 to 1,000 words in my head. Then I simply sit down, at my computer, and transcribe what was written in my head. I don't like to sit and think behind the computer. Since write fast-paced thrillers, I need to make sure the action keeps moving and the dialogue flows. And that means the writing can't feel stilted.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
I wrote the first draft rather quickly - about a week. This is an 11,000 word novella and I wrote about 2,500 words a day. That is mainly because of the "Real Time" aspect to it. The words, and actions, just came spilling out of my head.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I have been creating stories since I was nine. And I've written many types of stories - from literary fiction to horror. However, I looked at this particular market - the 99 cent novella - and wanted to tailor something around that price point. And I thought, "What about fast-paced, movie style thriller?" TICKER is designed to give you the fastest 2 hours on your kindle. You read it and feel like you've just survived a plane crash.

Except from TICKER:

Sixty

TICK. Tick. Tick.
Twenty alarm clocks go off at exactly 11:00 AM.
The hotel room explodes in bells, rings, beeps, bonks, Koo-Koo chirps and Class rock radio.
Angela is stunned awake.
Her eyes try to focus.
She sees red out of the corner of her eyes.
“Hello Angela.” A muffled, modulated male, voice bellows over the alarm clocks.
“Wake up...Angela.” He orders
Angela raises her head.
The alarm clocks instantly stop. But the ringing in the young woman’s ears persist.
She feels a sharp pain on her left wrist.
Angela pulls her left arm. She tugs.
She is handcuff to a small bag.
Angela reaches over, with her free hand, to inspect the bag.
“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” The voice announces.
“It is 11 AM and 30 seconds. You have fifty-nine minutes and twenty-five seconds to live.” The voice says.
Angela stands up. She looks at the Mac laptop.
She is beginning to remember being chased in the parking garage at her job.
“No one would ever suspect a woman. If you are wondering why I chose you. A random choice. Congratulations.”
Angela looks down at the bag.


Links:













       Ticker

Here is the link to my blog http://michaeldrakeland.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment