Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sylvianna - Keryl Raist

Sylvianna is something of a genre busting story.

It's a story about true love, but it's not quite a romance.
It's got enough erotic content to keep the erotica fans happy, but it's not the main point of the story.
Like any good fantasy it's got wizards and sword fights.
And like a paranormal book it's got angels and demons and set in the real world.
The main characters are in college, but it's not a coming of age story.

The back of the book reads: Sarah Metz just got to Sylvianna College. She went in search of a biology degree. She found a group of wizards on the run from their past. They remember her. She doesn't remember them. Over the next year, she'll help them fight off the creatures trying to kill them, fall back into love with the man who used to be her husband, break the heart of her best friend while doing it, and maybe, if they're very, very lucky, not remember who she used to be.

Sylvianna is a modern day fantasy with a scorching hot romance and a deeply layered plot. Angels, demons, magic, sword fights, free will, destiny, and true love all weave into a complex tale of the search for redemption.

What will readers like about your book?
It's a very complex character driven fantasy that deals with everything from free will versus fate to Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Why did you self publish?
Time is on my side as a self publisher. Getting an agent, and then a publisher, and then getting the book out can very easily run two to four years. So, I could have my book out, earning me money from now until 2014, or I could be in the process of getting it out from now until 2014.

What is your writing process?
I use the BIC method. Many writers have found this particular technique invaluable. You set aside a time every day, and then sit your Butt In a Chair, and make yourself write. Good writing, bad writing, indifferent writing, it doesn't matter. The part that matters is the discipline of sitting down and actually doing the work. Once you're in the habit of doing it, it becomes hard not to write, and that's where you want to be if you intend to be a pro.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
I've only got the one novel out, and the first draft of that took eight months. Book two will probably take quite a bit longer, since I'm splitting my time between writing and publicizing the first book.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I had some really interesting friends in college. The role playing characters and games we played inspired the skeleton of the story. The desire to explore magic, how good people can do bad things, a dark but emotionally satisfying romance, fleshed out the rest.

Excerpt 

"By the way, thinking love songs at her is starting something up.”

“You think she doesn’t know?”

“I know she knows. Emily knows. Autumn knows. Harold has a pool running on when you two finally get together, which Josh thought he won after the dance. As a heads up: Chuck has next week scoped out. This is the worst-kept secret of all time. Still, if you don’t want to hurt her worse than just losing a friend, back the hell off. Not sleeping with her won’t do it. Friends don’t do what you did last night.”

“How would you know?”

“Because I have the good sense not to do it! Since that’s true, it’s pretty damn certain it’s not something a friend does. There’s no straight guy on Earth who has a closer friendship with a woman than I do with her. You two are not friends. You’re lovers who haven’t slept together. If you don’t want her to feel like your lover when you go off to die, stop acting like hers.” Pat stood up, and Chris followed.

“She sent one back to me.”

Pat’s voice and manner went hard. “I know. I felt it. I heard it. I am doing everything in my power not to beat the shit out of you because somehow you’re winning this one, too.”

Chris extended his arms to his sides. “I’ll give you a free shot.”

“If I hit you as hard as I want to, I’ll stop your heart. That would piss her off.”

“Might just possibly piss me off, too.”

Pat was relieved to see Chris was not interested in dying right this minute. “You’d be too dead to care. You know, if you are going to go off and die, I might have to spend some time on the other side consoling your widow. If I plan this properly, I can do it for both of them.”

Chris answered him seriously, “There’s no one I’d prefer do that.”

“You really don’t give a damn anymore?” Pat’s horrified look caught Chris’ attention.

“It’s remarkably freeing.” He smiled grimly at Pat. “I’m not that far gone. I’m almost certain I’m not going to make it, and I’m beginning to wish I would. Six more weeks. Hell, if I can make it through, I will really fight you for her. And I’ll enjoy beating you. Then we’ll find someone who loves you the way you should be loved, and I’ll dance at your wedding.”

“Great.” Pat rolled his eyes, a wedding that involved Chris dancing with Sarah wasn’t precisely on his list of favorite images. “I suppose it’s better than being Gurney Halleck.”

“Gurney got Jessica in the end.”

“Well, my Duke, try not to let the Harkonnens kill you. I don’t want her over your dead body.”

“You really are a good man.”

“I’m Mr. Fantastic. I need a spandex costume with a big fucking F on the front of it."

Links:

www.kerylraist.com
www.topublishornotto.blogspot.com


Smashwords
Barnes and Noble
GoodReads


      

No comments:

Post a Comment