Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Spell Breaker (The Seven Spell Saga) by Tessa Stokes

The book, Spellbinding is the first book in the series The Seven Spell Saga. It is urban fantasy, romance and suitable for readers sixteen and up.

It is written as the main character tells her story and decribes her adventures.
When 18 yr old Chloe McGarry moves with her family from her home in California to an English estate rich in history, she isn't sure what to expect. She never dreamed she'd get caught up in a mystery that has lasted for more than eight hundred years, nor that she'd fall in love with two gorgeous guys.
Chloe's never been lucky in love that is until she meets Oliver Tarrant. He's charming, interested in her and amazing looking. Is he all that he seems?
Her new home holds many mysteries. Out one day exploring the grounds she stumbles across Tristan Dearing. Tristan is enigmatic and beautiful; to begin with, he tries to keep himself apart from Chloe until she uncovers his secret; a secret he has been keeping for 800 years.

Bio

I have lived in various parts of the world and currently live in the UK.

I can’t remember a time when I have not been writing something either creative or commercial. I started writing fiction when very young with six page stories that sometimes got me into trouble at school for not being punctuated correctly.

Over the years I have written, education programs and curriculum, copy, brochures and leaflets, advertisements, all kinds of reports and plans plus stories, poems, books and songs.

Having written for ‘others and employers’ over the last ten years I decided that I could wait no longer to get back to my creative beginnings and write for myself.

What will readers like about my books?
The characters, they are real and honest, they say some things we all want to say sometimes and perhaps never do.

Why did you self publish?
The traditional route is so old fashioned and bathed in false mystique, it also puts people down in the way people are treated. My opinion only :-)

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
Anything between six months and a year.

What inspired me to write this particular story?
The Seven Spell Saga was inspired by some weird personal experiences over a few years. Unexplained coincidental events, life changes, chance meetings and also by ancient places.

Excerpt

I couldn’t help myself I took his hand to soften my questioning and asked “Why did Liz’s father try to get James to delete all mention of you from his thesis?”

“What?” he said stopping and looking at me, “Did James tell you that have you read the thesis?”

“No, not James, because some how I have not had the time to ask James and I keep coming to you and hoping we can talk seriously together instead of me Googling you and guessing”, I replied.

He looked horrified, “You Googled me, what did you find?”

“That you lived in the time of the Crusades and was accused of sorcery” I just blurted it out at his gradually whitening face.

This seemed like almost too much for Tristan, he stopped and looking around for somewhere to sit, finding nowhere but the grass he said with his eyes closed. “Could we go inside and sit and talk for a while, this is getting more complex by the minute? ” And he looked towards the house where the French doors were still swinging open.

I nodded and took his hand and we walked in silence to the house; a huge bumble bee flew slowly in front of us to a flowering shrub, the gravel crunched slightly under Tristan’s boots, the breeze was warm and a black bird with a yellow beak suddenly flew out from beneath the hedge, startled no doubt by our approach. It was as if time was slowed down, until we got into the room.

I asked Tristan if he would like some water and we went through to the kitchen and got some. “We should go up to my room” I told him watching him take a drink from the cold bottle I had given him. “Only because no-one will be able to hear what we say”.

“Yes” he said and taking some keys from his pocket, he walked towards that door that leads to stairs straight to my bathroom. I looked at him, the door was locked down here and at my bathroom, but he had keys.

“You have keys?” I gasped. He looked down at his hand as if realizing he had done something automatically and it was not the right thing to have done. “Sorry, sorry, I do, I have keys to the whole house, sorry, I don’t use them, well only once”, his voice was low.

“And that would be when you went into my room to look at the photographs I had of the waterfall right?” I stated a little alarmed. He just stood there looking uncomfortable.

“Why do you have keys to this house Tristan?” I had thought dad had bought this house with the restaurant but maybe I was wrong.Tristan’s voice was almost a whisper, “Because this is my house”, he said simply.

Links


No comments:

Post a Comment