Saturday, April 9, 2011

About Wrecker

Jane thought a loveless marriage was as bad as it could get.

Steve thought life was perfect with a hired man to do his chores.

They were both wrong.

Jane Havelock is coping a day at a time in a bad marriage when her husband Steve hires handyman Rob Manteo for a never-ending series of odd jobs around the house. At first Jane is repulsed by Manteo, a huge, muscular man with primitive communication skills. But revulsion reluctantly gives way to curiosity and even fascination as loneliness drives her into a precarious friendship with Manteo. He’s morose and mysterious, but there’s definitely more to him than meets the eye. He seems to be hiding something.

As her marriage and her husband’s career crumble around her, Jane digs into Manteo’s past and uncovers a horrible secret. She knows now that it was more than chance that brought Manteo into their world, but it may be too late.


Bio
I'm a 47 year old dad and I live in South Jersey with my wife and three kids (19, 15 and 12). Besides writing and reading, I'm a big time fitness fanatic. If I don't spend a couple hours a day working out then I'm not happy. I make time for this by not watching TV


Why will readers like this book?
I think the best thing about Wrecker is that it's a thriller about ordinary people. I love a good political or techno-thriller but this one isn't that. There aren't any global implications, secret intelligence organizations or military overtones. It's just a story about regular folks who had some troubles.

Why did you self-publish?
For the simplest of reasons. I tried for years to interest agents and work through the traditional system to have my work published, but I failed to convince anybody. Wrecker is the first of my books that I didn't even bother querying agents about, because I don't believe in that system anymore. On the other hand (ironically?), this is my best book and I'm deathly curious about whether an agent would have given this one a shot. I guess I'll never know.

Who are your favorite writers in your genre?
I actually don't have a single genre that I write. I'm all over the place. Wrecker is a thriller, of course. In that genre I'd have to go with Harlan Coban. I admire his ability to breathe life into a plot that others might not be able to pull off. I'm not sure I could do that. To me, Wrecker is a clever idea, not a brilliant execution of that idea. I'm not sure I have the talent to write a strong book around a less-clever plot. Coban is a guy who can (not that most of his plots aren't excellent, just trying to make a point.)

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
It took me about six months, with the last one being very intense. For me, every book is different.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
I was working on a grungy, dirty project around the house. I realized that if I was somebody else looking at me, I'd figure that this was just some empty-headed guy with nothing going on. So I created a grungy dirty guy who had a lot of stuff going on.

Links:

Facebook Fan Page: www.facebook.com/daveconiferfanpage
Blog:  daveconifer.blogspot.com

Amazon Paperback       Amazon eBook
   

No comments:

Post a Comment