Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Eyes On It by Dylan English

By day, Catherine Pope works as an assistant to an investment banker.

By night, she's a loner, spending much of her time reading romance and erotica on her e-reader. It's part of her secret life.

What she doesn't know is that she's about to find out that her boss has a secret of his own -- something she's never heard of.

Bio: 
I was a freelance writer for many years and finally turned my writing energy to fiction. Right now I'm publishing novelettes, but I also write contemporary romance novels.

What will readers like about your book?
If they're into erotica, there's plenty in the book! But it's not just that. I make sure to have a plot and characterization, as well. While it's a novelette, and there's not much space to do all of that, I do make it a point.

Why did you self publish?
I self-pubbed because I've always been a writer, and in the rapidly changing technology of today, there's no longer a need to stick to the old method. Self-publishing, especially ebooks, is an amazing revolution. The readers -- not agents and editors -- will be the ultimate judge.

What is your writing process?
I start with characters. Usually two main characters. I think about them, make notes, and decide what kind of scenario I want to put them in. I do not outline, though. I like to have fun as the characters take over and tell me the story. I write for a few hours each day and I do no editing until the first draft is complete.

How long does it take you to write your first draft?
It depends. For these novelettes I'm publishing, it usually takes just a few days. I also write novel-length contemporary romance (under a different name). My first draft usually takes a couple of months.

What inspired you to write this particular story?
It's based on a true story, actually. I'll withhold the names of the guilty parties to protect them....

Excerpt

Kirk leaned toward her. “I want to tell you something, and I need you to hear me out. Please don’t freak out.”

She took a sip of her martini, trying to loosen up and relax, which isn’t easy to achieve when someone says they have something to tell you and they ask you in advance not to freak out.

“I’ll do my best,” she said.

Kirk took a sip from the frosty beer mug. He wiped his hand on a napkin, cleared his throat and began telling her. “This isn’t something I’m very used to. So I’m just going to cut right to the chase and we’ll see what happens.”

“Okay.”

“I know more about you than you think.”

Her eyes widened.

“But not how you think I mean it. I don’t know where you live. I really didn’t know what you do on your nights off or on the weekends. I don’t even know your middle name. So I’m not a stalker.” Kirk smiled.

Her eyes were still wide, but she believed him. “You don’t seem the type. What do you know?” Her piqued curiosity probably came through a little too strongly in her tone.

“I know you have an e-reader and I know you like to read a lot.”

“What? How…” She lost her train of thought.

“I picked it up one day. I was curious. You were somewhere else in the building and it was on your desk. Usually you lock it up. I’ve noticed. But that day you left it out, I was curious about it and I saw your collection of books.” Kirk drank from his beer mug.

She thought she should probably be freaking out right now, despite his request. At the very least, she thought, she should probably be angry with him for snooping through her personal business.

“I’m not sure what to say.” She took another sip of her martini.
“Are you upset?”

“No.” It was the truth. She really wasn’t. “I probably should be, but I’m not. What did you see?”

Links




   

No comments:

Post a Comment